Our heritage conservation approach

Since its purchase by the Caille family in 2003, the Château Mentone now offers a series of buildings covering about 4,000 m². A huge surface area to be renovated and modernised in accordance with the spirit of this historical site in Provence.

The Château Mentone is first referred to in historical sources in 1033 ; the estate, the castle and the different outbuildings have, as they deserve, undergone very precise renovation works. Recognition of its past to which the Caille family is particularly attentive.

Wishing to preserve this magnificent heritage , every year, it carries out major renovation works to protect the buildings and "re-connect" them to the modern world. An equal amount of importance is accorded to the natural environment.

Here, respect for the balance between humans and nature and the protection of ecosystems is much more than a responsible wine tourism strategy: it is a genuine way of life.

News : November 2015

The Mentone's castle got, dated November 6, 2015 the "Fondation du patrimoine" label (Foundation heritage)

Fondation du Patrimoine

The Farm

It was in May 2015 that l'Auberge opened its doors for the first time. In this delicious restaurant, you will find seasonal dishes prepared mainly with organic produce grown on the estate.

But, before being able to invite you to take a seat here, it was necessary to completely renovate this old farmhouse, which was built at the start of the 19 th century.

The objective? To offer you the chance to savour authentic produce in a perfectly adapted establishment. In order to modernise the farmhouse in accordance with the spirit of the site, the Château Mentone called upon the services of a famous architect, urban planner and designer: Jean-Michel Wilmotte .

The building was completely gutted, the interior walls were destroyed: only the facades and the main openings were preserved. These major works could only be carried out once the original foundations had been reinforced.

This entire project, from start to finish, was carried out in a responsible manner , in accordance with the History and the original spirit of the building.

The other buildings

For some time the castle belonged to Charles de Gasquet. As the founder of the first farm school in Var in 1849, he developed the Mentone vineyards and extended the buildings, especially the cellar. Above this, he had a silk farm built for breeding silkworms, with the land benefiting from the presence of many mulberry trees. After 2003, with the castle itself already having been converted in order to provide guest rooms, the Magnanerie was transformed to offer vast reception areas.

At the start of the 20th century, an oil mill was built on Mentone's lands in order to develop the olive grove; however, it was never used (after the olive trees frosted) and it was eventually turned into a sheepfold. The millstone, tank and presses were modernised during the works undertaken by Madame Caille. In 2010, these led to the opening of the estate's first gite, naturally named Le Moulin.

Le Sévigné , a former farm building (chicken coop) with its brick surround windows and doors and its terrace laid out below an archway, was converted into small guest suites. The entire building is perfectly adapted for families with young children.

Le Lodge stands on the site of an old ruined shed.

 

The vaulted cellar has been renovated too. Dating from 1840, it is one of the oldest wine cellars in Var. Visits by appointment only.